Friday, November 2, 2007

How Tom Kyte Killed My Blog... and other conspiracy theories


As some of you may know, a few weeks ago after visiting my class Tom Kyte, VP of Oracle linked to my blog from his heavily visited blog.

The two days following that post upped the traffic to my blog tremendously. From an average of 10-17 visitors a day to over 70 unique visitors. I was understandably ecstatic with this new traffic and began dreaming of blog stardom.

When my traffic dwindled back down to it's usual average I realized that Tom Kyte had killed my blog.

How did he do this? And was it on purpose?

What happened is that Tom linked to a crappy post of mine that merely stated that Tom had spoken to our class and that I enjoyed it. He didn't link to my blog in its entirety so when all those people clicked the link and read my crappy, juvenile post they didn't read any further. I am assuming that if they had read one of my better posts they would either have read more or come back other times.

Of course I don't believe that Tom did this on purpose (he doesn't even know my plan for world domination!). I suppose Tom never realized that I was trying to get a small following on my blog when he linked to my crappy post.

Lesson learned:

Never ever do a little shout out blog post--you never know who will link to it (and ruin your blogging career haha)



-----------------------

My other conspiracy theory of the day is:

That the somewhat new rule of no bottles over 3 ounces on airplanes is purely to fuel the travel-size toiletries industry.

3 comments:

Kyle said...

Well you haven't lost all of your viewership!

I think his link may have affected your unique visitors in a negative way, but I don't think by much. Keep up the good posts and you'll continue to gain loyal readers.

Beau said...

Where are the stats at?

Sarah said...

Added stats just for you beau.