Sunday, November 4, 2007

Paper Dolls

We've all gone through the job-finding process. What do we do to prepare?

Jack up our resume. Include every semi-relevant class that you got a B+ or better on, every extra-curricular activity, and of course, every volunteering event we stood next to.

If you looked at your resume now would you be able to say that it represented you well?
Before I updated mine a few weeks ago I would have to answer "no".

I had in there that I knew a little bit about POM for windows, MS Project, and other similar applications. If by little I meant that I had heard of them and used them for a few class periods a few semesters ago then my resume would be accurate.

For many jobs in the business or tech field-- actually any field where in the course of your day you don't have peoples lives in your hands, using your blog as your resume can be a better way of representing yourself to a potential employer.

How many times do companies use their blogs to entice potential employees? That's becoming more and more frequent.

In his blog, Adam Darowski discusses how blogs can replace the resume because instead of vague, generalized bullet points you have detailed paragraphs with real information.

For example... If you're a chef and on your resume you write that you are an excellent baker. I have to believe you based on what you said. However if in your blog you post about how you perfected a recipe for apple pie in detail, there's my proof that you know what you're talking about.

In a way it's similar to how Doctors submit articles in Medical Journals. Sometimes it's not enough to say that you pioneered a new technique. You need detailed proof that you did it and can do it in the future.

I won't pretend to be naive and leave out the main reason why resumes are used. Employers need a brief, concise, (one - two page) description of your qualifications for time saving purposes. My argument would be: which would save more time and money? -Reading someones blog to figure them out OR -having them come in to the office for a two hour interview to only have to turn them down?

One last point and then I will shush bub on the topic... no one is all that honest in an interview, we're told not to be. But a blog, well unless you've been playing to interview with a certain company for months or years it would be very difficult to fudge your blog.

5 comments:

Kyle said...

I completely agree with you. I think a blog is great place to learn more about someone, especially if they write candidly and without political/monetary motivation. Your blog comes across to me as an off-the-cuff account of real-life issues. I trust that it's your genuine opinion because I have no reason to suspect otherwise.

rachbrandon said...

I really like what you have to say. I still find the "new way" of doing things a hard concept to grasp. I have been so focused in creating a quality resume that throwing it all out the window to prove myself in a blog intimidating. But still, you have made a great point about showing people who you really are, and I like that way of thinking.

Adam Darowski said...

I've had a lot of resumes from designers come in over the years. All I use a resume for is to look for a URL. No portfolio meant no chance of a call.

I look forward to the point that enough resumes come in with blogs that I can ignore those that don't have one. Like a portfolio, a blog simply lets you visualize the candidate's expertise. But unlike a portfolio, the blog forces them to explain their role, their thought process, the background... which is exactly what I want to hear.

You're doing a great job with your blog. Totally on the right track... great to see.

Best of luck!

Unknown said...

for certain professions i think a blog is a great tool to further explore job candidates.
in one way that it is similar to a resume, it takes some time to build. one might wonder how much of it will an employer read? will they just notice a few recent posts on targeted topics or dig back to the original, random threads? i'm sure there are some of both in the recruiting world. overall though i feel a well-written blog can be a huge asset to the opportunistic job seeker.

Supa said...

I totally agree with your point on Resumes! How can we possibly cram a life in a 1 or 2 page piece of paper. As you mentionned, blogs give the recruiter a much better, and detailed picture of who we really are and what we have achieved so far...