Sunday, November 11, 2007

Everytime I hear "web 2.0" I cringe.

Thank the lord that the next Presidential election is coming up... relatively soon. I think most Americans would admit that this years potential candidates is the most interesting combination of individuals so far. A woman, a black guy, a mock news reporter (he kind of still counts), a Mormon, and an assortment of other interesting characters.

With all the social progression in candidates this year they have really been trying to tap every media resource possible; Myspace and Facebook seem to be the most popular.

But does it really matter? Last Presidential election only 41.9% of people aged 18-25 voted. I find it difficult to believe that just because Clinton or Obama will be advertising on Myspace or Facebook people that age will find the energy to make it to the polls. Perhaps if we could all vote from home ... from the Facebook platform? If we could, I bet that % would be closer to 100%.

If you were an activist or just someone who regularly voted before politics invaded social networking sites then you will vote after them. If you weren't... well chances are you won't vote this time either.

I can't deny that using these platforms to talk about your political position is a great idea. If anything lazy teens will glaze over some FAQ and learn a little bit. But to get them to vote I think either implement my facebook idea or try a combination of Australian and Argentinian voting strategies. Fine us if we don't vote and/or let us sell our votes on e-bay. If we sold our votes, it would even out to the electoral vote anyway wouldn't it? Probably.

2 comments:

Kyle said...

Although I'm not so sure allowing voting on Facebook is a good idea, I'm not entirely opposed to allowing voting on the Internet. Personally, I think voting should be at least a little difficult so as to prevent some of the stupid people from messing up the poll statistics. But, this could be done by making the online voting system at least a little challenging with captcha inserted every so often. Just my take.

jeanie said...

What a great idea! lets vote for the next president on aol, you know where they ask you to vote if you think Brittany is a good mom or not? Then you show you the percentage of yes vs. no votes? How great would that be? You could vote as many times as you liked. You wouldn't have to deal with the hanging chad problem, just keep voting until the guy or gal you like wins, the more I write about this the better I like it! It's ideal for lazy, housebound people and kids too. let's do it!s AOL are you ready?