Monday, October 29, 2007

Hal-A-Lu-Yer

So I am silently rejoicing that the FCC is doing something good for the consumer for a change!!! WOO. As many of my classmates who live in large apartment buildings have realized. Certain cable or satellite companies can basically buy out entire multi-dwelling building and be the sole provider of television and the consumer has no other option but to go with them. But if it is approved on Wednesday cable companies will no longer be able to monopolize entire buildings, giving consumers the chance to pick their supplier based on their own criteria (usually price).

I am honestly happily amazed that the FCC is looking out for consumers in this way. The only real purpose of doing this is to lower industry prices and thank goodness! I just auto-paid my cable bill and it was $57 and change. I can't think about this too long or I may call up DirecTV and flip out on them or just cry over the wasted money.

2 comments:

Kyle said...

I hope this means DirectTV will lower their rates to compete with the possibility of other services in the building.

jeanie said...

Being a homeowner I am not affected or maybe I will be. I am a prisoner of Time Warner. They suck you in with their HD channels, mainly sports and nature and then they convince you that you can't live without their cable. Eventually, you actually believe that your life revolves arount the remote control. I could live without reality tv but I could never live without TV land, the old reruns remind me of a better time.