Saturday, December 1, 2007

Hands Across The.. web?

Remember the 80's? Hands across the world or hands across America? Remember how successful they were? Yeah no one does, because it wasn't.

Now instead of holding hands across land, web entrepreneurs are trying to get us to hold hands across the web on a few new social good, social networking sites.

I'll feature Razoo.com in this post because it's the site I know the most about. This is because (as I have probably mentioned) my beau Kyle with his company Viget Labs built their website.

Razoo incorporates every feature possible of every social networking site possible. For example instead of joining a group to say that you're attending so and so's 21st birthday blowout, you join a group saying that you will perhaps carpool for the next 50 years of your life or recycle everything you can see.

Razoo is extremely lucky to have huge financial backing keeping it afloat in these uncertain periods of growth (both in site components and in users)

A few months ago I attended one of their Brewing Good events. Besides everyone drinking as much as they could handle, the gist of the event was to meet some leaders/creators of nonprofits and charities, hear their story, and vote on which was worthy enough to win $500 for their 'cause'.

While almost everyone who attended that event was interested in social good and doing all they can for the less fortunate, what about the rest of the population? More importantly what about the population on all the social networking sites; are they willing to commit time, money, or brain power to causes? Most people may say "yeah I'll do something", but I have a difficult time believing them.

In terms of Razoo's future profitability or growth potential I worry. I worry that the percentage of Social Networking users who care to join sites like Razoo and actually participate is minuscule compared with the entire percentage of users.

My suggestion would be to take these sites to Canada, Australia, Sweden and any other country that has more social programs than the U.S. Because unfortunately most of the people of the U.S. are raised to only care about #1 (and I don't mean Jesus!) and I can't see this concept taking off in the U.S. unless huge changes in mentality are made.

1 comment:

rachbrandon said...

I share your skepticism. Although, I think these sites have a chance in the states. For those who truly mean well and want to take social action will and may use the web in doing so. I just don't know how many more participants these sites will pick up from someone just surfing the web. As far as connecting people though, I think they have a real potential to bring people together.