Thursday, December 6, 2007

Teaching vs Training.

As my time at American University is coming to an end I have been forced to start my career search. The problem that I and some of my colleagues have run into is that we don't feel qualified for any jobs in the field that we have been studying.

Now this semester one of my Professors has somehow gotten my school to allow us to get certified in a few different Microsoft Office products. Apparently this was no easy task. From what I've heard from my other Professors the argument that AU is using to keep us from receiving the chance to get certified is that there is a difference between teaching and training. And it is NOT AU's job to train us for the job world.

Of course I disagree with that; my parents are not paying $10,000+ a semester to not have me prepared to have a job when I graduate.

But let's say I did agree with that statement. I am a business major, not a philosophy major, in this area it just doesn't cut it to read books and write papers. Sure those things help but for us Business people, it's all about real experience.

What do you think my or your schools role is? Is it their job to provide the opportunity to get certified in things that will get me ahead in the work force?

3 comments:

spazeboy said...

First off, don't you think it's kind of bogus that you have to get certified to prove yourself proficient in Microsoft Office applications? I mean, maybe this makes sense for people 50 and up, but I grew up using Microsoft Office apps.

And this may sound funny from someone who's getting a fabulous liberal arts education, but I do think that practical experience has real value. Whether AU (or in my case, Wesleyan University) should provide that practical experience or not I don't know.

I took five years off after high school before I went to college, and in those five years I learned that to move up in the job market you need a four-year degree. So now I'm in year three...

Hopefully as a Business major you got a chance to do an internship or an externship or whatever they call it. That's a great way to get some experience. I have a friend who is transferring to AU to major in business. She just finished a semester long internship--and she goes to community college.

Lastly, you write well, and that will take you pretty far, believe it or not. There are plenty of people who get paid better than you can imagine who just can't communicate. It's an important skill and I don't think you should discount it too much.

tpeterson said...

I do think it's strange that AU thinks that learning and training are two separate entities. What do they expect us to do? Go around and interview (looking FABULOUS because of the "expert" advice of the Career Center) and hope that our jobs/internships train us on Microsoft Office products?

Hell, I've always wanted to be an astronaut. According to AU, all I need to "know" is that the universe is big, cold and dark. And knowing that the Moon is made of cheese probably helps too.

So I don't need to learn how to pilot a shuttle on re-entry. Likewise, I don't need to learn which pedals and dials do what in a car. I should just get behind the wheel and go.

I really hate our school sometimes and *SHOCK* I'm amazed that Kogod, of all sub-institutions, would actually fight to change that policy. I'm really glad that our professor was able to get the school to change its policy. It's nice to know that someone with REAL business experience is telling a bunch of academics how the world really works for a change.

Jill said...

I think that our schools job is definitely much more than giving us the knowledge to use in the workplace. They should provide us not only with the education and knowledge, but the tools that make us more marketable and able to get a job, where we can apply the knowledge that we have from being at AU..