Sunday, October 7, 2007

Shopping Revolutionized.

While reading the short chapter about how important tagging blogs, pictures, etc is in Naked Conversations I noticed riya.com. I leaned over to Kyle who's sitting at his computer right next to mine and asked him if he's ever heard about it. He then went to their website and discovered that a site he had introduced me to a long time ago is using riya's technology. The site is like.com and it's pretty revolutionary as far as shopping goes. The basic idea of the site is to take a general product you like and choose which features are important to you (color, shape, pattern) by weighting them. After you indicate your price range like.com will then suggest other items with those features that you requested. You can specify everything to your taste. No more searching site after site though pages of products that don't fit your criteria.

This technology is not only being used for shopping but also for photos-- personal and ones on the web.

If this technology is used elsewhere in our lives imagine all the time we can save and use to play second life instead? Ha!

3 comments:

ErinB8185 said...

After I read your post, I went and looked up Riya and Like and they are awesome!! This is the best use of tags I've seen since I joined del.icio.us. I had no idea these sites existed. It seems like everything on the web has gotten better since people started using tags.

Jill said...

Having something such as riya and like I am sure is of great importance to marketing. Being a mtkg major, its interesting to see how all these websites will affect/change the traditional marketing ways.

With a website such as riya, I feel as though companies are going to need to find one quality that they want to emphasize in marketing and do that. Since these websites pick other products based on similar qualities, it is extremely necessary to then market based on those attributes. I would find it interesting to see how many/if any companies have looked into these websites before developing a marketing strategy...

tpeterson said...

The technology behind Riya and Like are amazing. I really like the idea of being able to choose between two similar objects.

I particulatly enjoyed the avenue of thought that you left open at the end of your post. Being able to apply this technology to other areas of our lives... like... classmates perhaps?

"These are the characteristics that I WOULD NOT like to see in my classmates, computer: Jeremy, bad-breath, Jeremy, BO and... oh yea! Jeremy."