Tuesday, October 9, 2007

What do we have to offer?

It's 11.3opm so we all know what that means don't we? It means our inhibitions are lowered, our honesty comes out and our creativity is at its peak. Or is that just me?

I think most of us go through our philosophical phase. Usually junior/senior year of High School others get delayed until early college and I suppose a choice few hold onto those questions their entire life.

When I was in High School, during I think my junior year I was hanging out with my then best friend Mariya and we watched the movie Waking Life together. My life was changed from that moment on. For those of you who haven't seen it, if you just purely listened to the movie, blindfolded perhaps, you would think it was a 1.5hr long philosophical rambling. If you view it with your eyes, it's quite the feast. It has possibly the most revolutionary animation used in a semi-popular movie--they loosely filmed live action and then animated over it.

Anyway...

Many of us taking this six degrees class are at the end of our college career, perhaps some of us will go on to grad school, but otherwise we're about to graduate. When I read the LiveJournal posts of some of my friends from High School who are about to graduate as well we all have the same underlining thoughts. Where are we going? and What's going to change?

So obviously I'm going through these thoughts and feelings as well and it brings me back to the end of High School when every breath I took was an embodiment of Waking Life. On one hand it makes me feel embarrassed to be almost back in the same mind-set as when I was finishing up High School but in my own defense this is the ending of a large portion of my life some of the same issues need to be readdressed.

I don't think I've met many if any students at AU that weren't incredibly ambitious. In my first semester two students on my dorm floor were already working in the White House pursuing their dreams of one day being a senator or even president.

Many of us may be asking ourselves now, what do we have to offer the world? Why are we better than another candidate for a job? Or, in terms of this class, why should I read your blog over someone else's?

What sets us apart from others? And who determines that? I hope I can determine that for myself. In all of our business classes we've heard over and over that a company/product has to be unique in some way in order to be successful. I'm trying to pinpoint that now.



"It's like your life is yours to create."

"we should never simply write ourselves off... and see ourselves as the victim of various forces it's always our decision who we are."

"I'm afraid we're losing the real virtues of living life passionately, the sense of taking responsibility for who you are, the ability to make something of yourself and feeling good about life."

2 comments:

Supa said...

This "what do I have to offer?" feeling is quite present in my mind...

I must admit, I'm sometimes worried about not "succeeding" in life. You know... getting stuck somewhere along the path and waking up one day, looking back and saying to myself "I could have done way better".


Unfortunately, we can't rewind it! We only have one life, so let's try to maximise our hapiness and try to live it fully.

Kyle said...

Dang, I thought I was going to be first to comment.

As a high school and college graduate I can say I had the same feelings as well. Number 1 priority in life is to have fun, number 2 is to make something of it. Now, how to do that? I think Steve from The Tao of Steve said it best: "Be excellent". I know that seems cheesy/simplistic, but I think it accurately summarizes what you have to strive for. Everyone's passionate about something, right? Do what it is you enjoy, do it well, don't worry what other people say about you for doing it, and if you need to, create your own market for it.

Those are my two pennies.