Sunday, October 28, 2007

Have We Met?

Business Networking as Boston.com reports can be intimidating for us college students. Why do we have such anxieties towards business networking when social networking is our forte? In my eyes there are two reasons people use networking to get jobs.

1. To connect to companies that you otherwise would have no access to
2. To have a person who can vouch for you when trying for that new job.

But there is a third "mystery" reason that isn't talked about much and it's the reason I believe many people are afraid of business networking.

3. It will help get a job that you otherwise would NEVER be considered for. Now this isn't necessarily a bad thing for us, but it is a bad thing when you are the person who is qualified but the step-half nephew of so and so got the job instead.


I've only discussed this with a hand full of people because you never know who is working solely due to their connections and not because of their smarts.

BUT

Of those people, I know they do have moral issues with this. We want to get our job based on our abilities and personality not because we "know" someone.

.......

I have never gotten a good job through business networking. Allow me to list them off:
-Grocery store clerk
-Gift shop wench
-fax/copy machine extraordinaire at a non-profit

But I do believe business networking is important purely for finding jobs that aren't listed. And I think it can be done in a way where you won't feel guilty later. Just use the people you meet as a conduit for your resume. If they don't know you in a way where they could discuss your work ethic, etc then let them know that you don't want them to be a fake reference for you. Maybe they'd respect that? Not sure. If your past boss or manager is referring you to a new job then it makes perfect sense to have him or her vouch for you. If it's your Uncle or cousin there may be too much family bias built in for you to feel good later about it.

Maybe I am too naive about this topic but I can dream can't I?

2 comments:

jeanie said...

I can think of some interesting jobs I've had through both social and business networking. One, working for a photographer at trade shows, (what is that?) and another, food service at a very exclusive Prep school on Wisconsin Ave. I impressed myself with that one even though it was a completely crappy job. The third worst job was was working for a greeting card company. I packed orders to ship, by the way it wasn't Hallmark. I never made it to the big time through any of these jobs, however, I have the best stories to go with these jobs that I will never forget,even though I'd like to. I did once get a job that I lied about my experience to get. It was switchboard at an IBM office, needless to say, I lasted 2 days,I believe that was a record. Anyway, networking is a necessary evil to be used with much discretion.

Supa said...

"But I do believe business networking is important purely for finding jobs that aren't listed."

Very true...